Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Wedding Cake Traditions





Wow!!!!! When I read an article on the tradition of wedding cakes while waiting on my appointment one day. So I decided to joint this stuff down. It's very interesting. I know it's online somewhere also, I just have to find it. Not sure why I picked today to blog about it, but I guess everything is done for a reason.

I was surprised on some of it. The history of wedding cakes goes back as ancient Rome when they would stack oat cakes and break them over the head of the bride. What?, seriously?!

 Mid-evil wedding feasts the sweet cakes were stacked and the bride and groom tried to kiss each other across the stack. If the stack didn't fall, the wedding would be blessed.

 The tradition of the bride and groom feed each other a slice of cake came from breaking the cake OVER the bride's head as a symbol of fertility.

 The white wedding cake symbolizes the purity of the bride and in the Victorian era it reflected on the wealth of the family because the whitest cakes were made from the most refined sugar.

 Most groom’s cakes are found in the South. They are often not served at weddings in the northern US.

 The groom’s cake is reported to have been created to be served with a glass of wine to the bride and bridesmaids by the groom.

 Cakes mark many important beginnings and endings in our lives. We celebrate birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, births, graduations, retirements and many other accomplishments with a piece of cake.

5 comments:

  1. Changing up the wedding cake tradition is great. I love to see new, fabulous and unique wedding cakes that shows the couples personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice decorated cake. Very unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the history that you give on such things. These are the things we do traditionally not knowing how it all got started. With today's creativity, cakes are quite a buzz---especially wedding cakes. I also like to view the choices made because I think it 'speaks' the character/personality of the couple (most often than not--the bride)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point. Love this comment. +Tomika

    ReplyDelete